Friday, July 13, 2007

An Amazing Statement

I was listening the other day to a sermon by Paul Washer, and this statement that he quoted from A.W. Tozer shot out of the laptop speaker and plunged into my heart,

"I can tell how much of God you have by how much entertainment you need."

That is one of the most profound statements, outside of the Bible, that I have ever heard.

"Be still and know that I am God."

Is that enough? That God IS - is that enough? Is it good enough that as long as God IS, anyone who is His need never be - not only never frightened, never worried, never bitter, never lonely - but never bored?

This statement has opened doors of understanding for me. Why, in moments of rest, or engagement in dull duties, did I hunger for something to amuse me? Because I was not satisfied in God. If, with the eyes of my heart, I am looking unto the Beloved Savior, delighting in all that he is, why should I be bored?

There is a difference between freely engaging in wholesome amusement with a God-glorifying purpose, and the restless hunger to be amused. The latter is for worldlings and children, not for God's own.

Next time the desire to fill my empty heart with entertainment comes, how about this -

"Jesus, Savior, come to me;
Let me ever be with Thee,
Come and nevermore depart,
Thou who reignest in my heart.

Lord, for Thee I ever sigh,
Nothing else can satisfy.
Ever do I cry to Thee:
Jesus, Jesus, come to Me!

Earthly joys can give no peace,
Cannot bid my longing cease;
Still to have my Jesus near,
This is all my pleasure here.
"

by Johann Scheffler, 1657-1677
Translated by Matthias Loy, 1828-1915

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger A Heart of Praise said...

What a wonderful post! The poem is beautiful!!! Thank you for sharing!

May I add you to my "favorite blog" links? Thank you!

In Christ,
Emily

7/14/2007 7:29 PM  
Blogger Lydia said...

I found your blog off of my friend Emily's blog. I really enjoy your thoughts, they keep us looking up.

May I too add you to my "favorites"?

Lydia

7/17/2007 6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home