Saturday, May 31, 2008

The Promised Good

Ought I believe, when dark my way,
That darkness also clouds that Love
To which I, hoping lone, did pray
And desperate sought a blessing of?

How could my gracious God deny
The pleadings of my longing heart?
And turn a deaf ear to the cry
For good of which I had no part?

Had He not pledged to do me good -
Yea, to delight to work for me?
To give to me my daily food -
And all I needed, graciously?

But that which I desired most dear
He gave not - love mysterious this,
That graciously refused to hear,
That he might me more deeply bless.

What sweet surprise to stumbling souls
Like mine, when through the dreary sky,
The brilliant sun shines forth and rolls
The clouds away, and shadows fly.

And what till now seemed vain, seems best
And I, with shame-mixed joy, perceive
That I had naught to do, but rest
In God whose promise I believe.

His promise had not failed - ‘twas I
That asked amiss and foolishly
My God, with purpose deep and high,
Withheld what would bring misery.

Bold, laughingly, I now may tread
The paths to come, remembering still
That God who gives His children bread
Has good toward them set in His will.

Doubt not, my soul, when dark your road
And guiding light is long denied
Remembering, believe your God
Who hitherto has all supplied.

From hour to hour your mortal days
Shall given be by wisdom kind.
Your God rules over all your ways
You He shall cause right paths to find.

A helper He has been to you
He changes not, therefore He shall
Again prove all His pledges true
And work in ways you could not tell.

Remember, oh remember this -
That God is good and He is wise,
And though it seems you've blessing missed,
In days to come, you’ll realize.

That once again, His providence
Has worked in sweet, mysterious ways
He hitherto has helped, and hence
He’ll be your help through all your days.

- May 31, 2008

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger John and Joanna Colby said...

I like the poem - especially because I know the one who wrote it : )

Mother

6/02/2008 3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home