Monday, March 03, 2008

...how shall I fight?

How shall I overcome weakness and sin and fleshly tendencies? How shall I be enabled to do what is truly good for my soul?

I saw the answer this afternoon as I readied for supper:

Not by willpower, but by superior satisfaction!

I realized that true victory over habits of the flesh does not come by reminding myself that I "ought not", but by reminding myself that I need not, because I have Christ, because I was a child of wrath and darkness, but am now am counted among the beloved of God, because I have been justified by faith and have peace with God through Jesus Christ, through whom I have obtained access by faith into the grace in which I stand. And I rejoice in hope of the glory of God (Rom. 5)... and do I need to go there, to gaze there, to say that?... Why should I?

And here is one example of that heavenly bread with which the soul can be satisfied. I have fed on it many times to day and been strengthened:

“I will give thanks to you, O Lord,
for though you were angry with me,
your anger turned away,
that you might comfort me."
- Isaiah 12:1 ESV

To be taken from under divine wrath to divine love...this is altogether enough.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home