Saturday, January 13, 2007

Surviving or Abounding?

In the past days as we've finished off all the details of leaving Guyana and are trying to tackle all the details of getting adjusted to life back in the states, I have found myself living with a survival mindset. Of course some of that is necessary, but merely surviving is not the fullness of life that God desires for His children - He wants us to look not only to our own interests but also to the interests of others. Or, as I've been reading in Titus, He wants His people to abound in good works

"Show yourself in all respects to be a model of good works"

"Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us...to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works."

"Remind them...to be ready for every good work"

"I want you to insist on these things, so that those who have believed in God may be careful to devote themselves to good works"

Good works do not commend me to God or atone for my sins - as Titus 3 says: "he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy"- but good works are the occupation of the redeemed, the proof of the divine nature indwelling me, the pathway of joy and blessing.

So my desire in these days is to focus not so much on getting my needs taken care of, but on doing the delightful will of God for His glory and the good of my fellow man. Thank God that He is the one who works in us both to will and to do His good pleasure.

All Scriptures from English Standard Version



Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger muzic4him said...

Amen, Alyssa! I've had the same thoughts at times when life gets so busy and stressed that I struggle to just keep my head above water. Those are the times when God speaks to me about the abundant Christian life. He has such a greater desire for us then just merely surviving!

Thanks for the challenge! God bless!

1/13/2007 8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home